SSD drives

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu May 24 07:37:10 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 02:38 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> What does Fedora do currently, if anything, to optimize for solid-state drives (SSD).
>
> Things like swap and logging can generate a huge number of writes.  So I suppose those should maybe be placed on a
> rotating drive if one is available but if not does Fedora do anything to reduce the amount of writes?  Or is everything
> related to SSD the responsibility of the user?

I think Fedora aligns partitions to 1MiB boundaries and disables atime (with relatime),
both things are good for SSD drives.

Using tmpfs for /tmp is also ok.

I've been using SSD drives for a couple of years, and in my opinion
concerns about logs and swap are exaggerated.

And having swap on SSD is a GREAT thing if you use hibernation. :-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it