SSD drives

Juan Orti Alcaine j.orti.alcaine at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:30:54 UTC 2012

2012/5/24 Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>

> What does Fedora do currently, if anything, to optimize for solid-state drives (SSD).
>
> Things like swap and logging can generate a huge number of writes.  So I suppose those should maybe be placed on a
> rotating drive if one is available but if not does Fedora do anything to reduce the amount of writes?  Or is everything
> related to SSD the responsibility of the user?

Apart from correctly aligning the partitions, I think there are no
more optimizations done by Fedora.
I use a SSD and to get the best performance I use ext4 directly on the
partitions, without LVM, Luks, RAID, etc. Also, here are a few tips:

- Mount options:
     noatime to reduce writes.
     discard if your unit supports TRIM

- Change the default scheduler:
     I created /etc/rc.d/rc.local with:

        #!/bin/bash
        /bin/echo noop > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

- Disable the readahead service:
     systemctl disable systemd-readahead-collect.service
     systemctl disable systemd-readahead-replay.service