SSD drives

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu May 24 13:20:37 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 04:45 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Juan Orti Alcaine
> <j.orti.alcaine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/5/24 Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>
>>> What does Fedora do currently, if anything, to optimize for solid-state drives (SSD).
>>>
>>> Things like swap and logging can generate a huge number of writes.  So I suppose those should maybe be placed on a
>>> rotating drive if one is available but if not does Fedora do anything to reduce the amount of writes?  Or is everything
>>> related to SSD the responsibility of the user?
>>>
>> Apart from correctly aligning the partitions, I think there are no
>> more optimizations done by Fedora.
>> I use a SSD and to get the best performance I use ext4 directly on the
>> partitions, without LVM, Luks, RAID, etc. Also, here are a few tips:
>>
>> - Mount options:
>>      noatime to reduce writes.
>>      discard if your unit supports TRIM
> Yeah those too make sense (even though realatime should be enough).
>
>> - Change the default scheduler:
>>      I created /etc/rc.d/rc.local with:
>>
>>         #!/bin/bash
>>         /bin/echo noop > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
> This does not gain you much and hurts in some workloads.
>
>> - Disable the readahead service:
>>     systemctl disable systemd-readahead-collect.service
>>     systemctl disable systemd-readahead-replay.service
> systemd should just do that by default (it disables it already when
> running on a VM).

I also read here: http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/909/enabling-trimdiscard-on-f16-using-lvm-on-luks  about using
TRIM with LUKS.

Since I'm putting an SSD in my laptop this is important because the laptop drive must be encrypted.

So is F17 going to support TRIM w/LUKS automatically?

Or do we need to perform some special configuration to get TRIM w/LUKS?  (Yes, I understand some attacker might be able
to guess my filesystem type due to erased blocks - seems very low risk though).