/usr/sbin/validate clash with /usr/bin/validate

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu May 24 17:18:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:13:51AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 5/24/12 7:50 AM, Till Maas wrote:

> >But then the location if a command will depend on whether the system is
> >a 64 or 32 bit system, which makes it more error prone to write software that
> >uses such commands on both kind of systems.
>
> libexecdir is already a macro expanded at build time.  If you were
> hardcoding /usr/libexec you were already broken on non-Red-Hat-like
> Linuxes.  Don't let already being broken be an excuse for continuing
> to be broken.

Using /usr/libexec in a noarch Fedora package did always work. But if
binaries are in %{_libdir}, a noarch package cannot always contain the
correct path, because the noarch package is the same for both 32 and 64
bit systems. I did not know that debian or other distros do not use
/usr/libexec, but I believe that debian uses /usr/lib for both 32 and 64
bit systems, so using /usr/lib/<name>/ will work on both archs.

Regards
Till