Packaging pyroscope

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:11:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 09:15 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On-the-fly downloading of source archives and patches won't be
> acceptable,
> since these files must be included in the src.rpm (with the packagers
> being
> in the position to control what will be used/packaged).
>
> It would be necessary to create a modified build script that downloads
> needed
> files in order to create a custom snapshot archive, which then could
> be
> reviewed and included in a Fedora src.rpm.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

On fly downloading isn't really what I'm concerned about. I don't intend
to use the build script, only use it as reference while writing the
spec. I'll download the required sources, and they will be included in
the srpm that I come up with.

What worries me is that pyroscope has a "rtorrent-extended" interface,
which is just application of some patches to the original rtorrent
source. It even uses the rtorrent tars, the code isn't forked or
anything. Therefore, we will end up maintaining two copies of rtorrent
in a way (the original and the extended (original + patches)). Should
this be done?

I'm not sure why these patches haven't been added to rtorrent upstream
yet. I'm looking into it.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,