why is gurb-menu hidden as default?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Fri May 25 15:35:38 UTC 2012

Matthew said:
> Add a byte to the grub config block (wherever setdefault gets written)
> indicating whether a boot was clean or not. Have grub set clear that at
> kernel load, and then have a userspace app that sets it at the
> completion of boot. Check whether it's set or not on next boot and use
> that to run a different config stanza.

With this in mind, I'm sending the following patch for grub2 upstream.  It
implements something analogous to this for UEFI systems.  With this, a
change to how we generate grub2 configuration files (just adding a call),
and small amount of userland hacking, we can effectively cause the bootloader
to use a large timeout when the previous boot has failed.