another upgrade, another disaster

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue May 29 20:58:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

I did the upgrade using yum and ended up with the same end result. The steps to prepare the /usr split worked fine but when I brought the system back up after all was said and done I found I had both fc16 and fc17 versions of most if not all packages.

> So,
>
> 1) Could I have actually recovered from this mess without a complete
> re-install?

I eventually hit it with a hammer and did yum remove '*fc16*', when I reviewed the resultant transaction there were a handful of fc17 packages also removed as a result of dependencies but these were easily installed again, pulling in their fc17 dependencies instead. At this point I now appear to have a stable system and everything working, we'll see how long that lasts for though ;).