for thinkpad lovers - thinkpad-trackpoint-scroll

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue May 29 22:25:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:21:35AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 29.5.2012 08:57, Matthias Runge napsal(a):
> >On 29/05/12 08:24, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> >>Hi Adrian,
> >>Drop this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-wheel-emulation.conf and it will be
> >>persistent. I don't think we need a separate rpm for this.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>   Peter
> >+1
> >I don't think, we need a config-only package. Configuration in fedora is
> >IMHO left to the user. I think, this configuration snippet should be
> >dropped somewhere in the wiki as good example how to configure Xorg....
> >
> >The other problem, I see is, that there's no (real) upstream, and esp.
> >no issue tracker (other than bugzilla).
>
> 1) It should work out of the box, i.e. it should be default behavior
> of track point

I know of users who don't like the touchpad and prefer the trackpoint
instead. for them, switching to this behaviour is not the right solution.

> 2) I see no reason why I should drop any configuration file manually
> anywhere

that is what configurability is about though. default options cannot ever
cover the whole populace and for anything non-default you need configuration
files.

Cheers,
  Peter