F16: Sandy Bridge -> lags, missing effects, ui-crashes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 30 08:15:38 UTC 2012

Am 30.05.2012 02:36, schrieb Jared K. Smith:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 29.05.2012 22:45, schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
>> i think i have to mention taht VT-d is active in the BIOS and
>> i was wondering that it was stable because the combination of the
>> i915 options with VT-d (hardware supported virtualization IO) is
>> classified to be unstable
>
> Yes, that's a possible culprit. I've had massive problems with VT-d
> enabled on both a Thinkpad T510 and on a Thinkpad X220.

the strange is that both machines are running since
august 2011 until around F16 with stable graphics
and VT-d

so there must gone something wrong in the latest kernels

>  I don't pretend to understand what advantages VT-d is *supposed*
> to give me, but it's the first thing I turn off in the BIOS

on a normal workstation VT-x and VT-d can and should be turned off

here are running some VMware Workstation guests in background
one of them is a backup-machine rsync'ing 1.5 TB data
each day - in this case you do not want to disable VT-d