glusterfs rename

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed May 30 16:22:58 UTC 2012

On 05/30/2012 11:46 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

> What hoops do I have to jump through, approvals, etc., do I need to
> respin glusterfs rpms as glusterfs32 (for 3.2.6, and soon 3.2.7), and
> the imminent glusterfs-3.3.0, which would be glusterfs33.
>
> I.e. what is currently glusterfs-3.2.6-2.{fc16,fc17,el6} would become
> glusterfs32-3.2.6-x.{fc16,fc17,el6}, etc. x would be what, 1? 2? Does it
> matter?
>
> And of course then respin HekaFS rpms with the dependency changed to the
> new name.
>
> This would serve two purposes: a) resolves the glusterfs in EPEL and RHS
> Channel debate, b) lets us ship glusterfs33 in f16, f17, and f18 along
> with glusterfs32+HekaFS, since we don't (currently) plan to update
> HekaFS for glusterfs33. HekaFS features will be added to later releases
> of glusterfs33.
>
> Any hoops? Or can I just go ahead and do this?

Do you really need both? Or could you just update to 33 in the modern
targets (F16+) and leave the older 3.2 bits in the not-so-modern target
(EL6)?

In general, Fedora prefers not to carry multiple versions of components
because it deters and delays usage of the newer version.

~tom

==
Fedora Project