SystemD: When to start service for file system kernel module

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Wed May 30 17:27:42 UTC 2012

Hi.

On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:21:33 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote

> Thanks for the link! I did contact him. It looks like he's entirely
> relying on a custom script in /etc/kernel/postinst.d. Also, he forked
> zfsonlinux and has added/modified quite a bit. One change is a ZFS
> unit generator[1]. Even with the description I'm still not sure
> EXACTLY what it does...

It looks like a tool that automatically generates systemd units
to handle mounting of ZFS file systems (on the original Solaris
ZFS is quite un-UNIX-y in it's behaviour regarding mounting,
simply creating a new ZFS file system will mount it, by default
below it's parent file system, and mount points are not detemined
by /etc/fstab but managed in the file system itself, by properties).
As all the infrastructure doing this is missing in Linux he wrote
this tool to emulate the behaviour.

It's one of the things that look weird if reading about it but
is quite fabulous once one gets used to it. ZFS has several of
those things hidden inside it.

--
Unlike chess, Mornington Crescent takes a lifetime to learn the rules,
and 5 minutes to master.