glusterfs rename

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 30 17:30:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 01:23:42PM -0400, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 01:08 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> >On 05/30/2012 12:44 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >>
> >>To be honest it's a pain in the neck to deal with such packages, and
> >>unless there's an overwhelming need, I can't recommend it. Does any
> >>user really need to parallel install both versions of glusterfs?
> >
> >No, and in fact that would not work. (And it's not the problem we're
> >trying to solve.)
> >
> >If glusterfs-3.2.x + HekaFS is installed, we essentially want to avoid
> >ever updating to glusterfs-3.3.x because HekaFS is not compatible with it.
>
> And HekaFS aside, I could also make the case that we don't want
> people to blindly update from glusterfs-3.2.x to glusterfs-3.3.x.
>
> Another option I'd be willing to consider is leaving glusterfs-3.2.x
> alone, i.e., as glusterfs-3.2.x-y.fc16, but release glusterfs-3.3.x
> as glusterfs33, i.e. glusterfs33-3.3.x-1.fc16.

Not knowing anything about HekaFS and its relationship to gluster-3.3,
it sounds like something that should be handled upstream, ie:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_close_to_upstream_projects

Why wouldn't it work with glusterfs 3.3?  Just a matter of development
needing to be done, or is there some irreconcilable conflict?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top