[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu May 31 10:45:36 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 08:14 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 02:40 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Heya!
>>
>> Please be aware that since the most recent systemd uploads /tmp is now
>> in tmpfs by default in Rawhide/F18.
> [...]
>> This will most likely lead to a problem or two with software that isn't
>> happy about /tmp being small.
>
> For example "sort".

This is a good example because `sort` algorithmically needs
something below RAM in the memory hierarchy (i.e. bigger),
but with the same persistence characteristics of /tmp.

Currently `sort` defaults to $TMPDIR or if not set '/tmp'.

Now /var/tmp should be "more persistent" which we don't need,
but shouldn't be an issue, but should also not be in RAM
and so is more appropriate.

So I'll patch sort to default to /var/tmp rather than /tmp.

I'm a little worried about the general availability of /var/tmp.
I know I've created distros without it at least.

For my own reference, sort does support a list of tmp dirs,
but it'll need to be tweaked to support non existent dirs:

  $ seq 100000 | sort -T /foo -T /tmp -S1M
  sort: cannot create temporary file in `/foo': No such file or directory

`tac` from coreutils also needs a similar patch.

cheers,
Pádraig.