[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu May 31 10:55:28 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 12:45 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 08:14 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> On 05/31/2012 02:40 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> Heya!
>>>
>>> Please be aware that since the most recent systemd uploads /tmp is now
>>> in tmpfs by default in Rawhide/F18.
>> [...]
>>> This will most likely lead to a problem or two with software that isn't
>>> happy about /tmp being small.
>>
>> For example "sort".
>
> This is a good example because `sort` algorithmically needs
> something below RAM in the memory hierarchy (i.e. bigger),
> but with the same persistence characteristics of /tmp.
>
> Currently `sort` defaults to $TMPDIR or if not set '/tmp'.
Which is the correct place to use.

> Now /var/tmp should be "more persistent" which we don't need,
Correct, using /var/tmp is wrong and a mistake.

IMO, advising people to modify their code to using /var/tmp instead of
/tmp is absurd and evidence of ignorance towards traditional use of /tmp
and the FHS.

> So I'll patch sort to default to /var/tmp rather than /tmp.
This would mean introducing a bug.

> I'm a little worried about the general availability of /var/tmp.
Also consider the case of /var/tmp being a symlink to /tmp.

This was the default for some Linux variants for many years which still
can be found on many systems.

Ralf