F16: Sandy Bridge -> lags, missing effects, ui-crashes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 30 20:32:19 UTC 2012

Am 30.05.2012 10:52, schrieb drago01:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM, Jared K. Smith
> <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> Am 29.05.2012 22:45, schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
>>> i think i have to mention taht VT-d is active in the BIOS and
>>> i was wondering that it was stable because the combination of the
>>> i915 options with VT-d (hardware supported virtualization IO) is
>>> classified to be unstable
>>
>> Yes, that's a possible culprit. I've had massive problems with VT-d
>> enabled on both a Thinkpad T510 and on a Thinkpad X220.  I don't
>> pretend to understand what advantages VT-d is *supposed* to give me,
>> but it's the first thing I turn off in the BIOS.  In fact, on the
>> T510, I couldn't even get an installation to complete without turning
>> it off.
>
> You could just do boot with intel_iommu=igfx_off to verify that

sounds not really smart if you are using the integrated graphics
engine as only graphics card which is fast enough for KDE4 3D
effects and all the things you need if you are not a gamer :-)

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/Intel-IOMMU.txt

If you encounter issues with graphics devices, you can try adding
option intel_iommu=igfx_off to turn off the integrated graphics engine.
If this fixes anything, please ensure you file a bug reporting the problem.