*countable infinities only

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu May 31 16:39:57 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 12:15 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 12:06 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
>> On 05/31/2012 12:04 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>> SecureBoot is not about security.  It is about restriction.
>>
>> If you're looking for a mantra to recite ad infinitum, that's a fine
>> one, but
>> right now we're looking for ideas that are helpful and productive
>> instead.
>>
> It's very difficult to have this conversation if all the points about
> the principles of freedom upon which Fedora was founded, operates on,
> and is known for, are simply swept under the rug because they've passed
> some threshold of inconvenience that is not immediately apparent.

I don't intend to sweep any of that under the rug. But again: what's needed
are constructive ideas. I agree that we lose some freedom, and Matthew has
also stated that from the onset. But we still need constructive ideas. With
no constructive ideas, our principles alone won't help us move forward.

[...]
> By facing the problem in the same way as others will be forced to,
> Fedora as a whole project will be encouraged to fight for a solution
> that is equally accessible to others, as it is to them.  This is, from
> the outside, what would be the most fair, sustainable, and congruent
> with the principles that Fedora has, so far, attempted to maintain.

That's why we didn't simply ask vendors to ship our key.  That would be
/less/ equitable to other distributions than the solution we're looking at
right now.

Nothing is being swept under the rug here. You have the same access to the
mailing list as I do. We're looking for ideas, and we're putting forth a plan
that we're willing to implement. If you can come up with a better idea, that
would be wonderful.

Once again I look forward to your constructive input.

--
         Peter