On a related note...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 31 19:25:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 17:16 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:04:52 -0400
> Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You know what was the painless part of this re-install?  After firing
> > up google chrome, I didn't need to reinstall anything for it.  It's
> > all synced with gmail.
> >
> > I find myself wishing that all my fedora packages could be restored
> > just like that.
> >
> > Oh sure, there's a few methods for automaticing installs.  But none
> > are so brain-dead easy.  Imagine, just 1 click (or command) to sync
> > all the packages (and maybe /etc?) to some server, and 1 step to
> > reinstall back to the last state.
> >
> > What's that?  Wouldn't work over upgrades?  Somehow it does for
> > chrome.  And for android.
> >

> You want to do that? I can give you a couple of ideas:
>  - register your host and have it upload your pkgs list + repos list to
>    fedorapeople using your account
>  - on update/reinstall - you are prompted for this same info and yum
>    tries to put back the same set of pkgs.
>
> It would miss if a repo is not updated to the next release, yet, or if
> programs moved around in pkgs A LOT - but in many many cases it would
> work.
>
> the edge cases would suck, though, but that's true in general in
> packaging.
>

> I only suggested fedorapeople.org b/c it is immediately available and
> obvious - but a web app which stored these lists would also work,
> trivially.
>
> If you're interested in working on it I can imagine a number of places
> to shove this data and I know what's necessary from the rpmdb/yum
> history/repos to do it.

Possibly Firefox Sync? That seems like the framework/repository which
seems to have the best shot of becoming 'The Sync Thing' for F/OSS, if
anywhere. It's intentionally written to be capable of syncing
more-or-less generic 'data' and to be usable by non-Mozilla-y things.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey