F16: Sandy Bridge -> lags, missing effects, ui-crashes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu May 31 19:42:11 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 20:36 -0400, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > Yes, that's a possible culprit. I've had massive problems with VT-d
> > enabled on both a Thinkpad T510 and on a Thinkpad X220.  I don't
> > pretend to understand what advantages VT-d is *supposed* to give me,
> > but it's the first thing I turn off in the BIOS.  In fact, on the
> > T510, I couldn't even get an installation to complete without turning
> > it off.
>
> You need it to run as a KVM host with anything resembling speed.

Isn't VT-d only for VMs directly talking to the hardware, bypassing the
host?  You can run VMs with decent speed using virtualized drivers
without VT-d (and unless you have storage controllers and network
interfaces dedicated to each VM, virtualized drivers is the only secure
method).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>