F-18 Branched report: 20121031 changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 00:13:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 15:53 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > [libsyncml]
> >       1:libsyncml-0.4.6-4.fc17.i686 requires libsoup-2.2.so.8
> >       1:libsyncml-0.4.6-4.fc17.x86_64 requires
> libsoup-2.2.so.8()(64bit)
>
> Not touching, evolution related.

As near as I can tell, libsyncml has been dead for three years. It has
not been touched upstream since 2009. It's a library to support a
wire-based sync protocol; wire-based sync protocols have been kind of
dead in the water for nearly as long as libsyncml has. And we do have
syncevolution, another SyncML implementation which has the benefit of
still being alive. At some point, we're gonna have to bite the bullet
and ditch the opensync/libsyncml stuff. It's dead tech that was never
good tech in the first place. I once attained a brief moment of nirvana
where I had wired sync with Windows Mobile phones, Blackberries, and
Nokia phones tested working and documented for a single Mandriva
release; that took weeks or months of research, packaging and
documentation effort, back when the technologies were alive and people
were actually using them. You may make the reasonable inference about
the likely *current* state of this tech.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey