Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 11:50:39 UTC 2012

Tom Lane píše v St 31. 10. 2012 v 11:08 -0400:
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> > ... Practically speaking, for F18,
> > though, I think we just need to soldier on with newUI and get it done as
> > best we can. Obviously slipping the schedule by a week again and again
> > stepping back and taking a wider view, a release that's a month or two
> > behind but with a reasonably solid new anaconda wouldn't be a disaster.
>
> My concern at this point is exactly that we're "slipping a week at a
> time", rather than facing up to the *undeniable fact* that anaconda is
> not close to being shippable.  If we don't have a workable contingency
> plan, I think the best thing to do would be to start slipping a month at
> a time.

That would also definitely help from the PR perspective. Another and
another announcement of a slip by one week is starting to be ridiculous.
We should finally admit that we've screwed up this release and it would
take a significant delay to fix it.
I think the community will accept it better than a continuous stream of
one-week slips. It's also better for planning to know an honest
estimation of the final release of F18. People, who are not familiar
with the state of Anaconda, still believe that F18 will be released on
the Dec 11th and plan e.g. release parties accordingly.

Jiri