Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 1 15:49:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Heiko Adams <heiko.adams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should think again about switching to a roling release models
> for Fedora stable. This would IMHO have some benefits to the whole
> community.

I'm afraid a rolling release model would make it *harder* to make
major changes to Fedora, not easier.  We've had discussion after
discussion about the rolling release model over the past several
years, but I don't think the majority of the people who build Fedora
and make it work want to move to that model model.  If they did, we'd
have gone down that row by now.  (And, while it's not close to
perfect, rawhide is roughly analogous to a rolling release anyway --
enough so that many people are actively using it, even if it causes a
little pain from time to time.)

In short, bringing the topic of rolling releases  up again at this
time doesn't help us fix the situation at hand -- it simply distracts
us with vague alternatives rather than providing any concrete ideas
for making our current feature process better.

--
Jared Smith