Feature template update [was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule...]

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 18:09:21 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 10:08:39AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I was rather thinking we can simply take advantage of the critical
> > path
> > definition here. After all, when we came up with the critpath, the
> > idea
> > was it was a general concept which could be useful beyond the idea
> > of a
> > 'critpath package'. So why don't we just introduce the concept of a
> > 'critpath feature' - any feature with implications for the critical
> > path?
>

> That sounds good. Maybe recast those ideas as three levels?
>
>  - Critical Path Feature
>  - Other Enhancement Feature
>  - New Leaf Feature

We were thinking with a few folks more about "Self contained feature"
but yeah, there's a lack of real definition.

Other thing is - these "Self contained features" could be approved
implicitly once are announced on devel list (in cooperation with
Feature Wrangler). Features that requires integration etc. will be
still approved by FESCo, but idea is to offload amount of work from
FESCo so they can give more time to track these features. Not to
bother with leaf features or enhancements. And as these should be
very visible (thanks to announcement) anybody could escalate any
feature to the FESCo for discussion/explicit approval.

That's the idea, I promised my proposal delivered to FESCo before
Beta ;-) But you know, moving target....

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Jaroslav