Feature template update [was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule...]

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:53:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]

Version upgrades of _most_ packages are not features.  When someone is
updating or installing a new Fedora they _expect_ to be getting newer
versions of packages already.  It doesn't make much sense to update
your local Fedora install if you aren't actually going to get new
things.

Coordination among the other packages in the distro should already be
handled with ABI/soname change notifications in rawhide.  In the rare
case a package change some file format that users need to manually
handle or otherwise be aware of, release notes can cover that under a
special update section.  It doesn't make that version update a
feature.

For things like Gnome 3.6, or KDE 4.<whatever>, or MATE, then sure a
Feature might be warranted there.  Those are clearly large undertakings
that need to be carefully coordinated.  Updating postgresql or gwibber
or cowsay or less are not.

josh