Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 12:02:05 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 17:33, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> I didn't want to throw this grenade into the debate, but now someone
>> else has, I'll just note that I was in favour of this before and I'm
>> still in favour of it now. :) Rolling release is a model that makes
>> clear sense for a distribution with the goals that Fedora has.
>
> I've wanted to write up a blog post about my plan for a rolling release,
> but I'll post a snip-it here.
>
> Fedora Rawhide - stays as is... it is a rolling release
>
> Fedora Feature - think of it as F18 beta right now
>
> Fedora Stable - think of it as F16/F17 right now
>
> People choose the branch level at install time. Of course, like now,
> people can override this in the future with a change of fedora-release
> or yum --releasever. However, per-package updates from another branch
> level might not be something everyone can agree on how to handle, so it
> might be wise to limit support of it at first.
>
> Workflow:
> A shiny new feature is introduced in Rawhide. Things go boom. Not many
> people are hurt by this. Once it has been given a few band-aids the
> feature could be submitted to Fedora Feature. After some hardening and
> polishing the feature could finally be pushed to Fedora Stable.

How does this work with things like Anaconda? In a rolling model
(assuming you can do other major upgrades without reinstalling, if not
there's less point anyway), people aren't going to be reinstalling so
it could easily trickle through to stable before getting serious use.

How does it work with major changes like UsrMove? It might never have
been done...

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk