Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 2 22:03:25 UTC 2012

Am 02.11.2012 22:53, schrieb Tom Lane:
> Abandoning any pretense of having stable releases will eliminate a huge
> fraction of the user community.  For sure it will eliminate *me*.  I'm
> not in the business of fighting OS bugs every single day, and I will not
> be forced into that business.  I have other things that I'm more
> productive at.

+1

> I'm curious what you think package maintainers will do their package
> maintenance on, if there is no Fedora version that they can trust to
> still work tomorrow or the day after.  (Anyone up for porting fedpkg
> to Ubuntu?)

+1

> I've seen a whole lot of user demand for *more* stable versions of
> Fedora.  I've seen none whatever for less stable versions.

+1

Fedora IS USEABLE as a stable base for nearly anything
even large upgrades like systemd and UsrMove are working finally
they "only" have too much impact which could be optimized by relax
the release-schedules in a direction "ok, things are not running
like we thought at the begin of the schedule, let us take the time
it needs to make stings clean and stable"

current F18 is a good example

POSITIVE: beta delayed multiple times for good reasons
NEGATIVE: the promise to hold final release date

NO!
the right way would be to delay final release to 2013
this would greatly improve the time of testing of a
as final declared release where ALL components are
having this state at the same time

PLEASE: keep in mind this is free software NOT driven by
marketing idiots who define release dates - why wasting
this real huge benefit for "beeing first everytime"

as said:

i would propose that one of the two releases each year does
not bring large new features with great impact and instead
use one schedule to stabilize and fine-polish the distribution
at all which maybe save a lot of ressources for upcoming
features in the following release