Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Nov 2 22:31:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:17:02 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

..snip...

> If you're using a Fedora release today you're _already_ fighting OS
> bugs more often than most people do, I'd say. I disagree with drago's
> assertion that my description was of people who use Rawhide. It was
> not intended to be, and it was drawn from the experience of me and
> other people who do not run Rawhide. I almost never run Rawhide, only
> Branched.

Perhaps you have your head too much in the Branched world right now?

In my experience, in the last few years, Fedora stable releases have
become much more stable. My "stable" boxes here at home I have not
really had to poke at since I upgraded them to Fedora 17. I apply
updates every few days and things keep working along fine.

In previous cycles there were some real nasty brown paper bag type
blowups that required me to do things to downgrade or tweak to keep my
stable version working, that (knock on wood) hasn't happened in f16/f17
in my experence.

I realize there are bugs and problems that hit, but I think the stable
updates policy has helped keep those down. (Cue KevinK to come in and
shout and tell me how wrong I am, etc etc)

I'm personally -1 to any kind of rolling release beyond rawhide.

kevin