Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 3 14:08:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 12:35:08PM +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> I understand that "regular users" are not Fedora's main target, but it
> is a general-purpose operating system in the sense that it can be used
> by people who want to have a stable working environment with all the
> latest things from the Open Source world.

While "regular users" are not Fedora's main target, our target user base
assumes a "general productivity user", including these characteristics:

  We expect the majority of users to be interested in a set of general
  productivity tasks. These tasks are usually non-technical in nature. They
  involve communication and the creation, storage, location, and viewing of
  content. They are common to both novice and experts alike, and we should
  deliver a platform that allows users to engage in these tasks without
  interruption or disruption.

Which I think supports your position. (Leading edge, not bleeding edge.)