Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 3 00:15:49 UTC 2012

Am 03.11.2012 01:09, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Sat, 2012-11-03 at 01:07 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 03.11.2012 00:58, schrieb Adam Williamson:
>>> Microsoft don't really expect you to upgrade Windows. They expect you to
>>> buy a computer with Windows X on it, use it for three years, then throw
>>> it away and buy a new computer with Windows Y on it. Red Hat expects
>>> something similar for RHEL - they don't expect people to upgrade systems
>>> from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 on the fly. Corporations spend *years* planning OS
>>> migrations, which usually involve buying new hardware, not upgrading
>>> existing systems. This is an implicit acknowledgment that upgrades are
>>> just not a great way to do things. I don't think we can realistically
>>> expect Fedora to do it massively better. If you're going to do stable
>>> releases of your operating system, it just doesn't make a lot of sense
>>> to make people upgrade every twelve months. If you're going to have
>>> stable releases, you should maintain them long enough that people don't
>>> really rely on the upgrade function. That seems to be how the big boys
>>> do it. If we can't do that, are the stable releases really achieving
>>> much?
>>
>> look below, i prove you the opposite
>
> Please keep in mind the overall argument I'm making here. I'm not
> interested in trivial point-scoring. I have machines that have been
> upgraded for a long time too. Your mail doesn't really speak to the
> higher level questions here

the overall argument of MINE is Fedora IS stable
Fedora CAN be upgraded
Fedora has a good overall level of upgrades

these things have to be improved and not thrown away
by "we are doing it not good enough, so we stop doing it"

and i am sure one big improvement would be to relax
the meaning of a release-date, often it is OK and
there are no large blockers, sometimes it is not so
easy at that is the time where free software without
marketing bullshit have the valif option to say

WE DELAY THE NEXT VERSION TO A UNKNOWN POINT IN TIME
IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN IT IS READY FOR IT

in the meantime the current release would be maintained
only with real important updates like security as it is
done for F17/F17 now and ALL users would be happy