Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Nov 3 23:50:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-04 at 00:26 +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le samedi 03 novembre 2012 à 07:46 -0500, Bruno Wolff III a écrit :
>
> > I'd rather see us do a better job with rawhide so that more people use it and
> > a better job at making upgrades go smoother so that people just trying
> > to get stuff done with Fedora have a better experience.
>
> Then the question is "Why people do not use rawhide", and "how can we
> fix the issue so people use it". Maybe that's just perception, maybe
> there is real recurrent issue to fix one way or another.
>
> I do not run it, so I cannot judge, but I think the first step to fix
> something is to know the exact problems to fix. If the issue is "too
> much breakage", how can we ensure the most annoying issues are prevented
> ( I am pretty confident in autoQA personnaly ) ?

We have on our todo list to 'enforce' the existing autoqa tests, for
depcheck and upgrade path, but we're a little short on people ATM and
everyone keeps getting roped into validation testing. I think enforcing
depcheck for Rawhide would be going a bit far, though, because then
you'd have to use a side tag to do soname bumps, so we kind of have a
problem there: we can't blindly reject dependency-breaking changes to
Rawhide, but that's the kind of thing that usually causes problems in
Rawhide...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey