Rawhide

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Nov 4 11:24:04 UTC 2012

Le samedi 03 novembre 2012 à 18:32 -0600, Kevin Fenzi a écrit :
> So, I have been thinking about rawhide.
>
> I agree identifying the problems/issues would be good, and I think
> there's something we can do to help with that:
>
> Get a nice group of at least 10 or so folks who are active on this list
> to agree to run it full time on their main machine.
>
> As we get close to F18 release, I am considering moving my full time
> laptop to rawhide. If I can get a group of folks to do likewise we can
> at least identify issues faster and help each other as they come up.
>
> Additionally, if some number of these folks who pledge to run rawhide
> full time were provenpackagers we could just go in and fix things as
> they hit (or soon after) instead of waiting a while for fixes to go
> out.

+1

> I've run a rawhide vm/test machine here for many years. It's hit it's
> share of problems, but none were insurmountable. Some of them might
> have been for folks who were not more experienced tho, so increasing
> communication around rawhide can only help, IMHO.
>
> Additional thoughts to help rawhide:
>
> - It's been suggested before, but could we practically keep N and N-1
>   packages in rawhide repos? Then 'yum downgrade' becomes much more
>   handy. Repodata size and mirror size might shoot that down though.

Have a system like this :
http://snapshot.debian.org/

could surely help.

Source code is here :
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=mirror/snapshot.debian.org.git;a=tree

( pylons + some ruby and fuse to have a snapshot view on the fs )

> - Autoqa could perhaps help out, but I am not holding my breath. ;)
>
> - Anaconda folks haven't wanted rawhide installer images as they cause
>   people to report bugs on things when not ready, etc. However, could
>   we build nightly cloud images at least? Those could help test things
>   and won't require hitting the installer path.

Nightly cloud image could even be started ( and customized by guestfish
) and we could see if they boot. That would surely help to detect
regressions earlier.

> - I'm sure there's more ideas to improve it...
>
> I really think if we get a pool of savvy folks running it day to day we
> should at least be able to identify the pain points. In my experience
> with my test machine, rawhide has been pretty boring for the last two
> cycles, if we can continue to make it so, perhaps the rolling release
> folks might be able to find it usable.

Not to mention people could just dual boot in case of issues.

--
Michael Scherer