Rawhide

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 4 14:21:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 06:32:20PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Get a nice group of at least 10 or so folks who are active on this list
> to agree to run it full time on their main machine.

I did for years. On F18 right now, but I'm willing to go back to all Rawhide
all the time.

Here's some important background reading on this topic if you haven't seen
it already: https://lwn.net/Articles/506831/ (Jonathan Corbet's "Left by
Rawhide" article.)

> - It's been suggested before, but could we practically keep N and N-1
>   packages in rawhide repos? Then 'yum downgrade' becomes much more
>   handy. Repodata size and mirror size might shoot that down though.

Speaking as a former mirror person, I don't think the mirrors care that
much. The size would grow, but the traffic and churn would be about the
same, since it's nothing _new_, just slower deletion.

> - Anaconda folks haven't wanted rawhide installer images as they cause
>   people to report bugs on things when not ready, etc. However, could
>   we build nightly cloud images at least? Those could help test things
>   and won't require hitting the installer path.

Yes, nightly cloud images. Working on getting the non-nightly ones building
and functional first, but having them automatically built nightly would be
great. We can't, reasonably, push them into EC2 nightly, but I'd love to see
this image go into one of the internal clouds nightly and then we can script
up automatic tests against that.