Rolling release model philosophy

Denis Arnaud denis.arnaud_fedora at m4x.org
Sun Nov 4 15:50:21 UTC 2012

Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 14:07:02 +0100
Simon Lukasik <isimluk at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Currently, each Fedora release is kept alive for 13(+/-) months. There
> were dozens of threads about shortening or prolonging period -- but I am
> not sure if something like the following has been ever discussed:
> Each N-th Fedora release -- where N%3==1 -- is alive for 7 months.
> Each N-th Fedora release -- where N%3==2 -- is alive for 7 months.
> Each N-th Fedora release -- where N%3==0 -- is alive for 19 months.
>
> Additionally, maintainers might be encouraged to push their system wide
> changes into N%3==1. As well as they might be encouraged to make the
> Fedora N%3==0 their best bread.

+1
Just to be sure I understand: when N%3==1 or N%3==2, Fedora N is no longer
supported as soon as Fedora N+1 is released, right?

The N%3 seems a little bit like RedHat vs. Fedora to me, with a rolling
cycle of 6 Fedora releases rather than just 3. Indeed, AFAIU, every around
6 Fedora releases, a new (LTS) RedHat release is cooked (Fedora 13 =>
RedHat 6, Fedora 19 =>? RedHat 7).

-denis