Fedora 18 Upgrade Experience

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 4 18:54:28 UTC 2012

i guess so and i am pretty sure i removed it because
problems with failing service starts and since named
works for many months with the systemd-unit below
on personal as also 4 production servers i can say
for sure that nobody needs this pid-files

they are mostly for old sysvinit-scripts because
they need to know which process to send the SIGTERM
by stop a service, nobody needs this in the systemd
wolrd because systemd knows the pid and for forked
services even the pid's of any sub-process

in case of forking prcoesses they may be the REASON
for troubles because the PID may change at startup

in my opinion any maintainer should look if he
is using pid-file directives

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl status named.service
named.service - DNS Server
          Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/named.service; enabled)
          Active: active (running) since Sat, 03 Nov 2012 22:06:11 +0100; 21h ago
        Main PID: 1548 (named)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/named.service
                  └ 1548 /usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot