Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Nov 5 09:55:14 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 09:39 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
>>
>> El Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:59:54 -0700
>> Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> escribió:
>>>
>>> I'm not entirely sure what I felt then, but I'm certainly open to a
>>> longer release cycle.  In fact I'm very much in favor of one, one
>>> that puts more time between "feature complete" and the actual alpha
>>> release. All too often we see features crash land right at the
>>> deadline, and any software that has to integrate across a lot of
>>> pieces (like anaconda) gets stuck trying to account for all these
>>> changes in a very limited time frame, only to be hindered quickly by
>>> a freeze process.
>>
>> I really do not object to a longer release cycle.  I am also open to
>> making feature freeze being 4-6 weeks before Alpha change freeze. The
>> risk we run is people land new features anyway. but we run that today.
>> We always have a run of things late. People need to land changes
>> earlier  the bigger the change the earlier it needs to land.  Maybe it
>> wont be a popular idea but having feature freeze at previous release
>> time is needed. What I am thinking is:
>>
>> Branch as we do, which opens up development for next release same as
>> we do today, so in the current cycle when we branched off f18, f19
>> features needed to start landing so all that would be taken for f18 is
>> bug fix and integration fixes.  when we release f18 we hit F19 feature
>> freeze.
>
> That does not work because we do not have unlimited resources ... you
> can't expect people to work on F19 features at the same time while
> they are trying to get F18 ready for release.

If/when the "real work" behind a feature has been done early enough,
getting from Fedora alpha to final consists of just a few bugfixes that
can only be found with sufficiently large test-audience. That's very
different from the way things some things land: known very incomplete
work submitted at very last minute, followed by a mad scramble to try
and scrape it to somehow acceptable state in time. It's avoidable by
simply resisting the urge to slip stuff in on the last minute, the
release cycle is short enough that world does not end if you postpone
something to the next release.

> Honestly I don't think that the current issues have anything to do
> with the schedule but more with the way we handled the anaconda
> feature. We should just fix that and not try to make random changes
> all over the place.
>
> Basically there should not be any "this cannot be reverted" (there is
> no such thing really) features. If it is evident before the feature
> freeze that a given feature would not be ready in time we have to punt
> it to the next release PERIOD.

No disagreement there - features with no feasible contingency plan
should be treated very cautiously and if accepted anyway, should have
stricter completeness-requirements and much earlier deadlines than
easily reversible things.

	- Panu -