Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Nov 5 12:52:46 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 01:13 PM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> On Monday, November 05, 2012 06:56 PM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
>> mike cloaked píše v Ne 04. 11. 2012 v 21:44 +0000:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any reliable statistics about the number of users who
>>> feel that release parties and codenames are important to them?
>>
>> Release parties and codenames were just examples. It's about the buzz
>> around releases. You can check Google Trends where you find peaks in
>> number of searches for Fedora after every release.
>
> That just means our marketing is virtually inexistant between two releases.
>
> A rolling release model would mean that our buzz would be lower than the
> peak values, but it would be constant.

It does not work this way :)

The number of volunteers promoting Fedora is limited and their time is
limited, do not expect them to promote Fedora 24 hours a day, 365 days a
year, they will focus on important things, like the releases (but not only).

Also, is the matter of saturation: the general public has its own
priorities, if you barrage them with a constant flux of Fedora related
news, they will quickly become bored: what? yet another feature in
Fedora? just like the other gazillion they make public every other day?