Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Nov 5 18:34:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 13:23:59 -0500,
   Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

>> >It's a clean installation, I don't think it needs any magic. Also
>> >third-party repos are not a problem, we just ignore them and they
>> >won't influence the new system. People will add them manually again
>> >once in 18 months.
>>
>> There is desktop config in people's home directories that may not
>> work with
>> updated packages as expected.
>
>Package updates don't touch your /home. Clean install is the same as package updates in these regards.

But the updated packages may not like old configs. There is still potential
for occasional problems there.

>Please read my email again:
>> ** Power users would have to manually transfer /etc changes, add custom repos, etc. But if you need to do that only once every 18 months, it's not so bad. Also, a lot of power users would use Fedora Rolling instead, so they would not be affected at all. Some power users can even do unsupported yum upgrades (as many of them do now), so they won't be affected by it either.
>
>It wouldn't be done automatically, no. All this stuff would have to be setup again manually. But that's just my view.

I was figuring that many people that enabled rpmfusion to get, say media
codecs, would not fall into the power user category.

/var is another tricky area. There are good and bad things about keeping and
replacing it.

Nothing we do is going to be perfect for going from one release to another.
Putting more work into making that go smoothly is going to be useful as
long as we have releases.