Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 19:13:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

>>> There is desktop config in people's home directories that may not
>>> work with
>>> updated packages as expected.
>>>

>> Package updates don't touch your /home. Clean install is the same as
>> package updates in these regards.
>>

> But the updated packages may not like old configs. There is still
> potential for occasional problems there.

The way it might go is that if you have a package update which needs a new
config then you have the update process install a config.rpmnew config file
and add a note that due to the change a manual merge of old and new config
files is needed - it is usually not more than a couple of minutes effort to
do that - and provided that there is some advice that maybe even is in the
yum output and in the yum log file with a simple summary of what is needed
then it need not be a big deal - a simple wiki entry somewhere explaining
how to use "diff" or "vimdiff" would work wonders for the majority of users
to merge config files to keep up to date would not be too much effort would
it?

--
mike c