Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:06:58 UTC 2012

On 4 November 2012 23:57, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Adam, this is plainly untrue for Microsoft, they always supported
>>> upgrading to the next version.
>>
>> As someone already pointed out, 'support' is an overloaded term. They
>> 'support' upgrades the same way we 'support' upgrades - they provide an
>> upgrade mechanism for you to hang yourself with. As was clarified later,
>> the point is that they don't guarantee it will work,
>
> [citation needed]
>
> I can't believe that they were selling something "windows X upgrade"
> without supporting it at all.
> That's like selling a car and telling the customer "it might not move
> at all in that case you are on your own sorry".

I only have my personal experience because trying to find the exact
line in the tiny print which covers it requires me to know more legal
terms than I do. The scenarios I have run into multiple times is where
a manager decided to not pay Microsoft for their upgrade support and
ended up with having to pay for some sort of tiger team to figure out
what went wrong. Usually it is not with the core OS.. that upgrades
fine.. it is usually with registry and non-core programs OR it might
be hardware drivers for anything above the basics .

At which point Microsoft will point you towards the OEM or software
group that manufactures that software.. which is very fun when that is
Microsoft itself.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."