Revamping the non responsive maintainer process

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 08:28:11 UTC 2012

Dne 5.11.2012 10:22, Marcela Mašláňová napsal(a):
> On 11/02/2012 06:57 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 11/02/2012 04:56 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>>> If we have problem A and problem B, can't we work on both at the same
>>> time? :)

>>> It's not at all that simple, I'm afraid.
>>>
>>> How long since last activity do you consider someone 'inactive' ?
>>>
>>> What if the packages that maintain simply don't need any changes?
>>>
>>> What if they are on vacation?
>>>
>>> What if they are active on package A, but not doing something on
>>> package B that you wish they would?
>>>
>>> I've long wanted to revamp our process.
>>> I welcome concrete proposals to do so.
>>

>> Surely if an individual has not logged into for several months into our
>> infrastructure he must be inactive no?
>>
>> Bash script + a cron job that monitors login should suffice to check and
>> even email him asking him to confirm if he is active encase he has a low
>> maintenance component and only logs in when something is filed ;)
>>
>> JBG
>
> No, he can own only one package and be an upstream of the package,
> therefore he will login only for update of the package.
>
> You are using your use-case for everyone. If you insist on automatic
> process, then the metric should work with more data.
>
> Marcela

Requiring action every 6 months, such as pressing button "Yes, I am
still alive and kicking" in FAS after you are nagged by email, would be
acceptable annoyance even for such package maintainers, wouldn't be?

And there is such script, which is checking user activity on several
places: https://github.com/pypingou/fedora-active-user

Vit