Feature template update [was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule...]

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:22:02 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 05:35 AM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On 2012-11-05 12:22, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 11/05/2012 07:52 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>> A crit path update that affects, say, two packages and nothing else,
>>> could be "approved by default" as well.  Many of the crit path
>>> features however affect a large or extremely large package set (e.g.
>>> the sysv->systemd script migration), in which case explicitly
>>> involving every maintainer as the feature owner before even proposing
>>> the feature wouldn't scale; that's where FESCo does need to step in as
>>> a more efficient way to represent the large group of packagers.
>>
>> Case in point for F18 [1] and perfect example of one thing that should
>> have been completed within one release cycle...
>>
>> JBG
>>

>> 1.http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackagePresets
>
> As that feature is about changing distribution-wide policy, I cannot
> act on it until said policy is written.  (See
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945)  The feature's owners do
> not appear to be interested in doing so.  If you are, I would greatly
> appreciate it if you would add a proposal to that FESCo ticket so I
> can have a clear path forward.

Well I guess we probably should follow what other distributions most
notably opensuse I suppose since they switched to using preset a while
back but I'm not finding any clause about packages preset files
themselves [1] so I'm not sure how they handled it unless they just have
stricter rules that everything should be defaulted to off which can be
seen by the default preset policy for opensuse [2] compared to our
bloated one [3].

Issues like these are perfect example for something that should have
been resolved *before* the feature was accepted by FESCO...

JBG

1.http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Systemd_packaging_guidelines
2.https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=default-openSUSE.preset&package=systemd-presets-branding-openSUSE&project=Base%3ASystem
3.http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/systemd.git/tree/90-default.preset