Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 05:04:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 21:07 -0600, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
> > Oh my goodness. This is the highest amount of slippage I've seen in
> > quite some time. What is wrong with Fedora?
>
> The new anaconda UI and related features are more or less entirely the
> cause of the slip. Secure boot support is also not done yet (waiting on
> the signature for shim to get sorted out by legal), though I don't know
> whether FESCo yet absolutely decided that has to be in for Beta.
>
> > The slippage is getting worse each and every single release. I love
> > Fedora and all, but this is absolutely ridiculous...
>
> It isn't, if you look at the facts, the slips for the last few releases
> have been fairly similar and there's no pattern of them getting longer.
> This release is special because of the major anaconda change, which it's
> turning out after the fact could have been organized better (hindsight
> is 20/20).

Has anyone (FESCo) considered pushing Anaconda rewrite to F19 and ship
F18 w/ the old Anaconda?
I just tried the latest TC and while Anaconda did give me a working
F18 installation, the experience is still rather raw (Can't say the I
met major bugs, though).

... With all the testing resources pushing toward Anaconda, its very
likely that breakage in (many) other components may go unnoticed.

- Gilboa