Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 8 05:29:44 UTC 2012

Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
> Oh my goodness. This is the highest amount of slippage I've seen in quite
> some time. What is wrong with Fedora? The slippage is getting worse each
> and every single release. I love Fedora and all, but this is absolutely
> ridiculous...

One factor is that QA has become stricter (and testing has improved). E.g.,
in the past, the KDE spin didn't even have to work at all! The criteria for
the GNOME ("Desktop") spin have also become much tighter. Of course
delivering something that actually works takes time. I don't believe going
back to just shipping what's there on release day even if it has major
defects is a good idea.

Another factor is that the Anaconda developers are doing more and more risky
changes, we had the storage rewrite recently, and now in F18 there's the UI
rewrite (which also touches the storage code yet again, along with much
other backend code, it's not a UI-only change).

        Kevin Kofler