Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 09:21:03 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
> > Oh my goodness. This is the highest amount of slippage I've seen in
> > quite
> > some time. What is wrong with Fedora? The slippage is getting worse
> > each
> > and every single release. I love Fedora and all, but this is
> > absolutely
> > ridiculous...
>
> One factor is that QA has become stricter (and testing has improved).
> E.g.,
> in the past, the KDE spin didn't even have to work at all! The
> criteria for
> the GNOME ("Desktop") spin have also become much tighter. Of course
> delivering something that actually works takes time. I don't believe
> going
> back to just shipping what's there on release day even if it has
> major
> defects is a good idea.

As someone pointed out in yesterday meeting - Fedora is becoming more
a combo of time/feature based distribution. You can still see the
relict of more time based times in schedule (that definitely has to
be cleaned) - you will see RC composes there, set for the specific
date, now we do RC composes when the blocker bug list is clean etc.,
in F18 when the required features are there (not saying we would not
wait for upgrades for example even in earlier times, probably yep).

And now we are getting to the "release when it's done" area where we
haven't been before and we are unsure how to react - is six months
cycle what is our goal (time based), is delivering all features in
a high quality our goal (and thus the schedule is here more for a
guidance), is it now having all features we planned in release?

I'm really happy we have a dedicated Fedora QA team, we do not blindly
release something we believe it's going to work but actually no one
tried it (as we used to do before not only for KDE spin). On the
other hand, we should be clear what's our goal. I'm not fighting for
schedules for schedules as schedules are nice and you know, you can
schedule schedules:) But definitely we have to do something with this
schizophrenia (smaller slips to make plan, schedule bigger slips to
be sure we deliver what we want to deliver).

Jaroslav