Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 10:42:34 UTC 2012

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky píše v St 07. 11. 2012 v 22:06 -0800:
> I've now done half a dozen F18 multi-boot installs and I must say it's
> a miracle I haven't over-written something I wanted to keep. The thing
> that would make it usable for me would be very simple - just put the
> partition names on the labeling so I know what's going to end up
> where! The rest of the installer is fine but the partitioner needs
> either a user interface redesign or extensive documentation.

Yes, I just did partitioning in the current F18 and I must say it's a
piece of "art". I had old partitions on the disk and wanted to
preserve /home. I don't think I'm an inexperienced user because I've
done countless installations of different systems, but I completely
failed to do what I wanted to do with the new Anaconda. And even Fedora
QA guys, who heavily test it, had hard times to figure out how to do it.

We can't expect any miracle improvements in Anaconda for F18, so we'll
have to live with what we have now. But we'll need some serious
usability testing for F19. And frankly lots of polishing, too, because
let's face it, the current Anaconda is not a pleasure for eyes (but that
bugs me the least about it right now).

Jiri