Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 10:44:41 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 06:31 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > The new anaconda UI and related features are more or less
> > > entirely the
> > > cause of the slip.
> >
> > This shows that those changes should not have been done, or at
> > least not in
> > this way.
>
> I think it's widely agreed by now that they could have been done
> better,
> the question is now exactly how we can improve the process.

We have bigger issue with features that are OUT OF the process,
not communicated at all. If you take a look on New Installer UI,
it fits current design, it was a late as the scope was bigger
than Anaconda team thought but it's there.

But the new upgrade process - it should be standalone feature,
we missed dracut feature, same for LVM in Anaconda (again, not
UI), live medias etc. So most of the problems were caused not by
proposed/accepted features but by real features we weren't aware of.

How to avoid it? Honestly I don't know. What can help is to
make Feature process easier, so more people would participate
as it's all about feature visibility, offload FESCo from
that self-contained/leaf packages and give them time to work
on critical path ones...

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/896#comment:9

Jaroslav