yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 13:10:25 UTC 2012

Hi,
I'm upgrading Fedoras by yum [1] for some time. I know that is not
supported method and can have some problems. But the truth is that it
was always less error prone as compared to upgrade using Anaconda or
preupgrade. Even with upgrade from F16 to F17, which I originally
thought would be impossible. But again "yum upgrade" was smoother than
preupgrade.

As upgrading using yum require to have open wiki and follow steps
written there, I decided to automate it and created script fedora-upgrade:

   https://github.com/xsuchy/fedora-upgrade

When run, it will upgrade your Fedora (currently only F17) to Fedora 18
using "yum upgrade".
It is first shot, so it is definitely not intended for production
systems. But you are very welcome to test it and report problems or just
your ideas how to enhance it.
I intentionally left this script verbose, to help initial debugging.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering