Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:30:50 UTC 2012

On 8 November 2012 10:20, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Your problem is that you are assuming a lot of things without actually
>> doing any legwork to find out what anaconda does. Anaconda does a lot
>> of probing of hardware which changes when kernels change. Anaconda
>> requires changes when dracut changes APIs. Every release requires
>> changes in what is blacklisted and what is not blacklisted. It
>> requires dealing with the usual multiple changes in python apis and
>> such. It has other changes due to EFI or secure boot or other
>> features. None of them are trivial and doing them in parallel is
>> usually not possible.
>

> Not that your response is relate to who's responsible for making those
> changes, but is that not a fundamental flaw in the installer and it's
> design?

Dude.. that is just reality.  EVERY installer out there has to deal
with the fact that nearly every motherboard, BIOS, EFI, and OEM does
something to the hardware which makes it a one-off in some way that
the installer has to deal with. Even Apple hardware ends up with a
long list of if/then somewhere because mother board runs will end up
changing something somewhere that needs to be caught because the old
code won't work there.

The flaw is that computers are hard. People who want easy should just
stick to installing to virtual machines (even then you end up with a
long list of exceptions somewhere).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."