Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 19:31:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 11:07 -0500, David Cantrell wrote:

> In both of these examples, we could argue either way that they are features
> or not.  It's a new upgrade tool, yes, but it's really just moving the
> responsibility of upgrades to somewhere else.  So what's the feature?  If
> upgrades are the feature, we're not really changing anything are we?  We're
> changing how they're done but you're still getting an upgrade in the end.
> Or is the feature the fact that new code is arriving and old code is
> leaving?

Yes. This is _absolutely_ a feature. A complete rewrite of a core and
non-optional component cannot be done ad hoc without planning. One
blindingly obvious reason for this in the current situation is that
we're still thrashing around trying to figure out how to build and ship
the initramfs that fedup needs. This is exactly the kind of thing that
needs to go through the feature process so that the relevant groups -
releng, infra - know about it. I don't believe they even knew about the
problem until about two weeks ago.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey