Fedora Minimal Core SIG -- please join if you're interested

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 20:32:37 UTC 2012

Dan HorĂ¡k (dan at danny.cz) said:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Minimal_Core
> >
> > Please comment and join if you're interested. This is intended to be a
> > request for comments and input rather than a finish document.
> >
> > Note that "Minimal Core" isn't meant to necessarily imply "minimal possible
> > distribution". I would have just called it "Fedora Core", if we didn't
> > already have a lot of baggage around that name. It means "minimal for us",
> > and the group's mission is defining exactly what that means, and
> > estabilishing sensible standards around that.
> >
> > Basically, we have the various desktop SIGs which decide what goes into
> > those package sets, and it's reasonable to have one for core as well.
>
> Maybe such groups could exist for all top-level groups in comps?

I would love it if someone showed love to things like the web-server group,
or similar things. Historically... people don't seem to care too much.
(See the sad, sad, web-development group in F17 and earlier.)

A lot of it likely is that server users don't use the groups, and just
do the packages by hand. To fix that, we'd need to set up something better
that actually helps them (canned configs, integration, etc.)

Bill