Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 9 06:32:25 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Let's look at the practical examples. anaconda used to have its own
> partition inspection code, its own loader stage, and its own network
> management code and UI. Over the last few years, all of those have very
> deliberately been killed and replaced with bits of the main distro. The
> partition stuff was replaced by libparted; the loader was replaced by
> dracut; and the network code was replaced by NetworkManager.

(Don't forget the depsolving, replaced by the yum API.)

As a result, Anaconda's memory usage has skyrocketed over the years. I
remember the days where Anaconda would happily install with 128 MiB RAM, and
where even that was already a lot compared to previous releases. Of course,
some of the increase is due to a larger work set (more packages to install),
but a lot of it is due to changes in Anaconda itself too.

        Kevin Kofler